Subject: bug #7269: 24.0.50; opening a file via emacsclient -c <file> moves the mouse cursor to, the top left of the frames buffer.

From: Alain Knaff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 21:13:53 +0100

> Nowadays focus follows mouse doesn't mean that the focus strictly
> follows the mouse position, it can still be set independent of it.

Even that (ignoring mouse position, and just grabbing focus) would be a
highly antisocial move. Why can't emacs just leave the mouse and the
focus alone, like most other apps do, and patiently wait until the user
gives it focus? It's not as if emacs is the only app that opens new
windows...

Focus grabbing is dangerous, may cause privacy issues (if emacs happens
to grab focus from another app where user is entering a password), may
cause data loss (if user happens to type in a character sequence in
another app which for emacs means "delete this file"... don't laugh,
I've lost a couple of photos due to such an issue in digikam), and is an
annoyance, in general.

One acceptable behavior would be to pop up the new window _near_ (but
not under!) the mouse pointer, so that the user doesn't have to move the
mouse too much to give it focus. Yes, make the window appear near mouse,
rather than the other way round.

Thanks,

Alain