Subject: Re: bug#72686: Impossible to remove all offload machines

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2024 11:26:41 +0900

Hi Ian,

Ian Eure <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> The only other option I can see would be to keep the existing
> filenames for user configuration, and declaritively manage different
> files -- like declaritive-channels.scm.  This comes with its own set
> of problems, like needing to update the Guix daemon to read and
> combine multiple files; and the inability to know whether a given
> `channels.scm' is declaritively- or manually-managed means a bumpy
> upgrade path (ex. should this preexisting channels.scm file be left
> as-is, or renamed to the new name?)

I'd think that be a great option to pursue, although it's more work more
thoughts.  Perhaps it could work along these lines (brainstorming)

I like the idea to leave the original, potentially manually written file
in place and complement it with a declarative counterpart.  The same
would also have benefited /etc/guix/acl, which suffers from the same
ambiguity.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim