Subject: bug#72681: 31.0.50; visual-wrap-prefix-mode interacts badly with plain lists in org-mode

From: "Mark Hepburn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2024 12:21:45 +1000

--text follows this line--

The recently-merged visual-wrap-prefix-mode support for variable-pitch
fonts seems to interact badly with plain lists in org-mode, causing
visual artefacts.  I think it's to do with both plain lists and a
trailing blank line.  To reproduce, from emacs -Q:
* switch to a new buffer
* M-x org-mode
* Insert a couple of headings, with a plain list followed by a blank
line afterwards:
====================
* header

- item

* second header
====================
* M-x visual-wrap-prefix-mode
* This now renders for me like:
====================
* header

- item

  *  second header
====================
(The actual artefacts are even more pronounced for me in practice
because I have org-adapt-indentation set, so the second header is even
more visually indented)

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.41, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-08-17 built on x1carbon
Repository revision: 909d1d02db1c11e1309316cba2a392e1456e6053
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101011
System Description: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Configured using:
'configure --with-native-compilation --without-mailutils
--with-xwidgets --with-tree-sitter --with-libsystemd'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER
PNG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER
WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_AU.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  visual-wrap-prefix-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr dabbrev emacsbug reposition compile tmm
visual-wrap oc-basic cl-extra help-mode org-element org-persist org-id
org-refile org-element-ast inline avl-tree generator ol-eww eww xdg
url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr
pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-dbus dbus comp-run comp-common xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source
cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs json map byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile url-vars mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail mailcap yank-media puny rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util
text-property-search mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit
ol-docview doc-view filenotify jka-compr image-mode exif dired
dired-loaddefs ol-bibtex bibtex iso8601 ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi
org-link-doi org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-src sh-script smie treesit executable ob-comint org-pcomplete
pcomplete comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring org-list org-footnote
org-faces org-entities time-date subr-x noutline outline icons
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol rx org-fold
org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs thingatpt find-func cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs format-spec
cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 262343 58872) (symbols 48 21342 0) (strings 32 73561 4714)
(string-bytes 1 2291125) (vectors 16 35091)
(vector-slots 8 431581 22950) (floats 8 341 49) (intervals 56 427 0)
(buffers 992 17))