Subject: 24.0.50; gpg and gpg2

From: Tom Tromey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 13:41:41 -0600

Emacs seems to use gpg in some places.
My system has "gpg2" installed but not gpg.
It would be nice if Emacs auto-selected gpg2 when available.

I see at least these uses:

./gnus/mailcap.el:      (viewer . "gpg --import --interactive --verbose")
./epg-config.el:(defcustom epg-gpg-program "gpg"
./epg-config.el:(defcustom epg-gpgsm-program "gpgsm"
./pgg-gpg.el:(defcustom pgg-gpg-program "gpg"
./pgg-gpg.el:			(make-network-process :name "gpg-agent-process"
./dired-x.el:   '("\\.sign?$" "gpg --verify"))

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2010-10-20 on parfait
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.10802000
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/home/tromey/Emacs/install''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-spelling-mode: t
  erc-truncate-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
f l a g s SPC o r SPC s o m e t h i n g . SPC SPC I 
t SPC w a s SPC o n <backspace> <backspace> c c o n 
c <backspace> <M-backspace> c o n f i g u r e d SPC 
f o r SPC A I X SPC 5 . 1 SPC b u t SPC y o u SPC a 
r e SPC r u n n i n g SPC A I X SPC 6 . 1 . SPC SPC 
M-a A l s o , SPC M-l M-SPC s a y s SPC i t SPC C-n 
C-n C-e M-b M-b M-b M-b M-b s a y SPC y o u SPC C-e 
T h a t SPC s e e m s SPC w e i r d . M-q <return> 
<return> T o m <return> C-f C-u C-p M-f SPC c o n f 
i g u r e SPC o r M-f M-f M-d M-d M-q M-} M-} C-c C-c 
q p c SPC M-g l g M-< SPC n SPC n n n q SPC E S-SPC 
E q s M-< M-g M-g M-g M-g M-g s M-g s <f10> <f10> <f10> 
<f10> M-g s C-p C-p g SPC N SPC SPC d q P SPC C-h c 
M-g M-g C-u C-n C-n C-n SPC C-p C-p SPC C-x o C-x 1 
C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v 
C-v C-v C-v C-v C-c b P q M-g s SPC E q s M-g SPC E 
q s M-g SPC S-SPC S-SPC E P E q s <f10> <f10> M-x r 
e p o r t - e m a c s - b u g <return>

Recent messages:
Generating summary...done
No more articles [2 times]
Expiring articles...done
No more unread newsgroups
Saving file /home/tromey/.newsrc...
Wrote /home/tromey/.newsrc
Saving /home/tromey/.newsrc.eld...
Saving file /home/tromey/.newsrc.eld...
Wrote /home/tromey/.newsrc.eld
Saving /home/tromey/.newsrc.eld...done

Load-path shadows:
/home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sha1 hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/sha1
/home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/hex-util hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/hex-util
/home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/md4 hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/md4
/home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/ntlm hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/net/ntlm
/home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl-ntlm hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/net/sasl-ntlm
/home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/hmac-md5 hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/net/hmac-md5
/home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl-digest hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/net/sasl-digest
/home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl-cram hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/net/sasl-cram
/home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/sasl hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/net/sasl
/home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/site-lisp/flim/hmac-def hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/24.0.50/lisp/net/hmac-def

Features:
(shadow warnings diff-mode bbdb-sc supercite regi emacsbug thai-util
thai-word mailalias newcomment dabbrev jka-compr vc-bzr sha1 sha1-el
hex-util multi-isearch help-mode view shr browse-url gnus-fun erc-menu
erc-join erc-ring erc-pcomplete pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-button
erc-fill erc-stamp erc-netsplit erc-spelling erc-truncate mule-util
bbdb-gui sort gnus-cite smiley ansi-color flow-fill gnus-async
gnus-bcklg qp byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile gnus-ml disp-table utf-7
nndraft nnmh bbdb-gnus bbdb-snarf mail-extr bbdb-com cl auth-source
nnimap parse-time tls utf7 netrc gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 pgg pgg-parse
pgg-def epg-config mm-view smime password-cache dig mailcap nntp
gnus-cache gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group time-date gnus-undo nnmail
mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message idna rfc822
mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit
noutline outline easy-mmode flyspell ispell eldoc epresent-autoloads
package reporter appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu easymenu
calendar cal-loaddefs mouse-sel erc-services erc-networks erc-goodies
erc erc-backend erc-compat format-spec thingatpt pp smtpmail sendmail
bbdb timezone ange-ftp comint regexp-opt ring server advice help-fns
advice-preload u-vm-color vm-autoloads vm-vars vm-version bbdb-autoloads
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

--