Subject: [bug#72643] [PATCH core-updates 0/6] Restore i586-gnu (GNU/Hurd) support

From: Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2024 11:02:54 +0200

Ludovic Courtès writes:

Hello,

> Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> As mentioned on IRC, I've reconfigured my system to core-updates+this
>> patch series and it works for me.
>
> Pushed as 817838c38bbeb4ef7dcb64af5fce168aeb51306e, thanks for testing!

Yay!

>> --- a/gnu/system/examples/devel-hurd.tmpl
>> +++ b/gnu/system/examples/devel-hurd.tmpl
>> @@ -59,7 +59,7 @@
>>  (define guix-packages
>>    (filter-map input->package
>>                (fold alist-delete (package-direct-inputs guix)
>> -                    '("glibc-utf8-locales" "graphviz" "po4a"))))
>> +                    '("glibc-utf8-locales" "graphviz" "imagemagick" "po4a"))))
>
> I’ve submitted a patch to remove it:
>
>   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/72674

Thanks, that's great.

> Regarding ‘hurd-team’, I admit I had forgotten about it.  What are the
> important things we should bring over to ‘master’ or ‘core-updates’?

I don't think so; most of it is not really finished.  Possibly

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
d7562eae93 hurd: Support system init in /libexec/runsystem.
b9b5f1ee5f hurd-boot: Support system init: Create essential device nodes.
ddba840edd system: hurd: Add swap-services to hurd-default-essential-services.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

that help booting the Hurd after installing it on real hardware from a
GNU/Linux Guix installation with `guix init ... /hurd'.  After `guix
init', you'll have to reconfigure the GNU/Linux system, adding
menu-entries from /hurd/boot/grub.cfg (at least, that's what I did using
some ugly regex parsing in config.scm).

But these are not so interesting, because they will support booting Hurd
only once.  Supporting a second boot is more tricky and only has these
even less finished patches

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
fa003825ef DRAFT hurd-boot: Support second boot.
6b34e08e4d DRAFT hurd: Support second boot.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

These only work if the filesystem is clean -- which most of the time is
not the case when you restart -- why would you restart if not for a
kernel crash.  That means you'll have to boot into GNU/Linux and fsck
/hurd.

I'm using

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
59ae639ac6 DRAFT system: examples: Add devel-hurd.tmpl.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

as a convenience to build a childhurd to develop in (as opposed to just
offloading to).

ISTM that I've been the only user of these and they're not all that
great.  So yeah.

Greetings,
Janneke

-- 
Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>  | GNU LilyPond https://LilyPond.org
Freelance IT https://www.JoyOfSource.com | Avatar® https://AvatarAcademy.com