Subject: Re: bug#72604: 29.2; 29.2; when using customize to set ispell-program-name to ispell, ispell-library-diectory is set correctly, but not for aspell

From: Uwe Brauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2024 14:31:32 +0200

> It is not a bug, no.  And it is not a missing feature, it is actually
> the feature itself: when Apsell and Hunspell are installed correctly,
> they don't need this variable to find their dictionaries.  I use
> Hunspell, and the value of this variable in my Emacs is also nil,
> although spell-checking works well in several languages.

> So let me turn the table and ask you: why did you think this is a bug?

Because I cannot change the dictionaries, when using aspell:

I set ispell-program-name to  "/usr/bin/aspell"

I installed the aspell dictionaries for English, German, French and  Spanish.

However when I wanted to switch to the German dictionary, via
ispell-change-dictionary

no German dictionary was offered (but 65 different versions of English)

The ispell dictionaries are in /usr/lib/ispell
the aspell dictionaries seem to be in /usr/lib/aspell

But there is no aspell-change-dictionary.

So there seems a certain incoherence. 

-- 
I strongly condemn Hamas heinous despicable pogroms/atrocities on Israel
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.
I support to deliver weapons to Ukraine's military. 
I support the EU and NATO membership of Ukraine.