Subject: Re: bug#7260: 24.0.50; DEL screwed up

From: James Cloos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 13:26:15 -0400

>>>>> "JD" == Jan Djärv <[email-masked]> writes:

JD> FWIW, I often mark a region with the mouse and press DEL to delete it.
JD> It is a habit picked up from other programs.  But then again, I
JD> enabled delsel a long time ago, so I'm used to that behaviour.

Perhaps what would kill :^) the controversy would be a dwim version,
kill-or-delete, which would add the region to the kill buffer if it
is big enough, but not bother if it is small.  Using that for DEL &
C-d may cover both camps' wants.

The C-u prefix arg could invert the choice, in case you really want
to delete a huge region or want to cut-n-paste a small one.

AISI, it would only be useful when the region is active.  C-d should
continue to delete just the single character to the (logical) right
when the region is not active.

Acting based on whether any input events occurred between activating
the region and pressing C-d or DEL may be a reasonable alternative.
In that case, those two keys would only kill if used immediately
after activating the region.

I find that I almost never want to delete (rather than kill) a region.
But only /almost/ never.

I could deal with <activate-region> C-u C-d deleting the region.  But
unless the region is small enough to retype quickly and easily, it would
be painful for C-d on its own to delete the region.

-JimC
-- 
James Cloos <[email-masked]>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6