Subject: Re: bug#7260: 24.0.50; DEL screwed up

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 18:09:02 +0200

David Kastrup <[email-masked]> writes:

> Would suggest an option for inverting the meaning of a prefix argument
> on C-x C-x while in transient-mark-mode.

The question would then be what the default should be.  :-)

Anyway, my impression is that the vast majority of kvetching about
transient-mark-mode and/or delsel mode is purely about `C-x C-x'.  If
that command didn't activate the region, I think many people who find
transient-mark-mode problematic would no longer feel that way.
transient-mark-mode is quite useful (qv. `M-;'), and it's a shame that
something is simple as `C-x C-x' should make so many people switch it
off completely.

So my suggestion is this: Apply the patch that reverses (sort of) the
prefix in the `C-x C-x' in the pretest Emacs, and see what people feel
about it then.  If people absolutely loathe how `C-x C-x' then works, we
can revert the change, but at least we'll have one more data point.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  [email-masked] * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen