Subject: Re: bug#7260: 24.0.50; DEL screwed up

From: Miles Bader <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 00:47:48 +0900

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:
> I wasn't present when the discussion to make `C-x C-x' do these things
> took place, but it seems like the current behaviour conflates to rather
> different actions -- exchange-point-and-mark, and activate-region.  How
> about just decoupling them altogether, and let `C-x C-x' revert to
> (only) doing what it's always done, and add `C-x C-a' for
> `activate-region'?

How about not doing that?

I don't disagree that having a dedicated key might be more
logical/elegant/whatever, but user interfaces, after all, are more about
what's convenient and familiar than what's the most minimal.

Saying "(only) doing what it's always done" is simply _wrong_ at this
point, because C-x C-x has had its current functionality for quite a
while -- if I interpret what I see in git correctly, at least since 1993!

-Miles

-- 
Conservative, n. A statesman enamored of existing evils, as opposed to a
Liberal, who wants to replace them with new ones.