Subject: bug#7260: 24.0.50; DEL screwed up

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 11:45:13 -0700

> Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Today I typed DEL after yanking some text and typing C-x 
> > C-x to go to the beginning of it.  DEL surprised me by
> > deleting the region.
> 
> I think most people now agree that `C-x C-x' shouldn't activate the
> region when transient-mark-mode is switched on, but nobody 
> has actually altered that function to stop doing this.
> 
> If nobody objects, I'll make that change later tonight.

Huh??????

_Nothing_ has been decided in this regard.

Refer to the giant thread "C-d deleting region considered harmful".  See in
particular the sub/derived threads "Should C-x C-x activate the region?" and
"C-x C-x".
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-09/msg00965.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-09/msg01011.html

There was _lots_ of discussion about this, but no conclusion about just what
should be done.

The last mail I see on this topic was Richard's of 2010/09/22.
He argued that a poll should be taken.
The last line of the thread is Richard's:
"If we just speculate about this, we might be very wrong."
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-09/msg01110.html

Please do _not_ just "make that change later tonight".

(You certainly should not make changes like that based only on someone filing a
bug to report an annoyance.)

(FWIW, I was the first in the thread to suggest that we might consider changing
`C-x C-x' so that it does not activate the region.  So I am not against such a
change, in principle.  But just "making that change later tonight" is truly not
kosher/halal.)