Subject: bug#72585: 31.0.50; inconsistency between mouse-wheel-buttons and mouse-wheel-[down/up]-event

From: Kazuhiro Ito <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2024 20:49:35 +0900

> > mouse-wheel-down-event and mouse-wheel-up-event default value are
> > `mouse-4` and `mouse-5`, respectively.  But mouse-wheel-buttons's
> > default is
> > ((4 . wheel-up) (5 . wheel-down) (6 . wheel-left) (7 . wheel-right)) .
> >
> > Is this inconsistency intended?
> 
> Not sure what is the inconsistency you see here.

Ah, sorry, I misread related documents.  I don't have an environments
on which emacs receives mouse-4/5 events for mouse wheel, so I couldn't
confirm actual behavior.

Because Mouse Input node on emacs.info say as below,

> When you click the left mouse button, Emacs receives a mouse-1
> event. To see what command is bound to that event, you can type C-h
> c and then press the left mouse button. Similarly, the middle mouse
> button is mouse-2 and the right mouse button is mouse-3. If you have
> a mouse with a wheel, the wheel events are commonly bound to either
> wheel-down or wheel-up, or mouse-4 and mouse-5, but that depends on
> the operating system configuration.
>
> In general, legacy X systems and terminals (see Using a Mouse in
> Text Terminals) will report mouse-4 and mouse-5, while all other
> systems will report wheel-down and wheel-up.

I believed wheel-down/up whould send mouse-4/5 events to Emacs.

-- 
Kazuhiro Ito