Subject: bug#72559: 31.0.50; profiler-report-write-profile produced unreadable data

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2024 10:07:59 -0400

> This seems to avoid errors, but I still see problems in the profile
> read from a file, which is displayed like this:
>
>      Samples    %   Function
>           35  31%   redisplay_internal (C function)
>           28  25% + command-execute
>           28  25%   Automatic GC
>            8   7% + #<string 540>
>            7   6% + ...
>            4   3% + #<string 54A>
>            2   1% + #<string 57C>
>
> Those "<string XYZ>" thingies are actually written in the file as
> "#<byte-code-function F85>" strings, and I suspect that they should
> have been written as function objects, not as strings.

I don't think we want to write them as function objects, because then
we'll again bump into the problem that some function objects contain
unprintable objects like buffers.

Better would be to print the "#<byte-code-function F85>" strings
as-is instead of printing them as #<string 540>.

Of course, we could also try to print the function objects and then
verify that they are printed readably and only print them as strings
when that fails.

        Stefan