Subject: bug#72559: 31.0.50; profiler-report-write-profile produced unreadable data

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2024 12:41:52 +0000

Hello,

Since ~few months ago, I started having issues with profiler dumps
shared by users.  The latest example is in
https://list.orgmode.org/[email-masked]/T/#u

When trying to open the profiler data with M-x profiler-find-profile, I
keep getting
profiler-find-profile: Invalid read syntax: "#<", 2, 64028
or similar errors.

In other words, unreadable objects are somehow dumped, rendering the
profiles useless.

To reproduce,
1. emacs -Q
2. M-x profiler-start RET cpu RET
3. M-x profiler-report
4. M-x profiler-report-write-profile /tmp/1.eld
5. M-x profiler-find-profile /tmp/1.eld

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.42, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-07-26 built on localhost
Repository revision: ba708a0681eced555585fb8281f24b75b32c4178
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101013
System Description: Gentoo Linux

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>