Subject: 29.4; menus do not work properly on wayland (pgtk)

From: Sergio Callegari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2024 13:42:54 +0200

To: [email-masked]
Subject: 29.4; menus do not work properly on wayland (pgtk)
From: Sergio Callegari <[email-masked]>
--text follows this line--

Using emacs in KDE wayland, with the pgtk build. On a low spec machine,
emacs is hardly usable in this configuration. The menu system (file,
edit, options, etc.) misbehaves. For instance, you position the mouse on
"buffers", but the buffers menu does not open. To get it, you need to go
on File and then slowly move right through edit and options.

On a high spec machine emacs is usable with exactly the same config (Amd 
ryzen 9 with amd graphics).

in X11 mode, emacs is fine on both.

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.42,
cairo version 1.18.0)
System Description: Manjaro Linux

Configured using:
  'configure --with-pgtk --with-native-compilation=aot --sysconfdir=/etc
  --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib --with-tree-sitter
  --localstatedir=/var --with-cairo --disable-build-details
  --with-harfbuzz --with-libsystemd --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
  -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3
  -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fstack-clash-protection
  -fcf-protection -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer -g
  -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs -flto=auto'
  'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,relro
  -Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs -flto=auto'
  'CXXFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions
  -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
  -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection -fno-omit-frame-pointer
  -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS -g
  -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MONETARY: en_IE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_IE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: en_IE.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: LaTeX/P

Minor modes in effect:
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   TeX-PDF-mode: t
   TeX-source-correlate-mode: t
   delete-selection-mode: t
   cua-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils server latexenc time-date comp comp-cstr cl-extra help-mode
vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher preview reporter desktop frameset tex-bar
toolbar-x pcase noutline outline tex-mode shell pcomplete font-latex
latex edmacro kmacro latex-flymake rx flymake-proc flymake project
compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring warnings
icons thingatpt tex-ispell tex-style tex derived easy-mmode crm dbus xml
texmathp finder-inf delsel cua-base cus-load info auctex-autoloads
tex-site markdown-mode-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win
term/common-win pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 486757 33955)
  (symbols 48 23432 0)
  (strings 32 124656 4831)
  (string-bytes 1 3165854)
  (vectors 16 40090)
  (vector-slots 8 1399156 177365)
  (floats 8 103 193)
  (intervals 56 1063 70)
  (buffers 984 17))