Subject: [bug#72536] [PATCH] tap: followups for the new `--stderr-prefix' option

From: Richard Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2025 18:36:06 -0500

On 2/27/25 16:01, Karl Berry wrote:
> Or, briefly looking at the logs, I wonder if his incredibly complex
> $HOME/config.site file could be interfering with the tests -- though it
> never did before. Maybe we somehow have to disable that for automake
> test. Hmm.

On first glance it appears to be a quoting issue with $HOME/.config.site:

     #[stderr]+ ../configure --prefix '/&-prefix'
     configure: loading site script <redacted>/.config.site
     [...]
     #[stderr]<redacted>/.config.site: line 57: -prefix/lib64: No such 
file or directory
     [...]
     #[stderr]+ make all
     gcc -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"instspc\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"instspc\" 
-DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"1.0\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"instspc\ 1.0\" 
-DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DPACKAGE_URL=\"\" -DPACKAGE=\"instspc\" 
-DVERSION=\"1.0\" -I. -I..   -I/&-prefix/include  -I/&-prefix/include 
-MT source.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/source.Tpo -c -o source.o ../source.c
     #[stderr]/bin/bash: line 1: -prefix/include: No such file or directory
     #[stderr]/bin/bash: line 1: -prefix/include: No such file or directory
     #[stderr]make: *** [Makefile:663: source.o] Error 127

On my system I see:

     [...]
     #[stderr]+ make all
     gcc -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"instspc\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"instspc\" 
-DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"1.0\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"instspc\ 1.0\" 
-DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DPACKAGE_URL=\"\" -DPACKAGE=\"instspc\" 
-DVERSION=\"1.0\" -I. -I..     -g -O2 -MT source.o -MD -MP -MF 
.deps/source.Tpo -c -o source.o ../source.c

Note that on the passing system the `-I/&-prefix/include 
-I/&-prefix/include` arguments aren't passed.  The unquoted `&` in those 
arguments is definitely causing problems on the failing system, but I 
don't yet know if the bug is in $HOME/.config.site or if the 
$HOME/.config.site is exposing a bug that isn't normally exposed.