Subject: Re: bug#7252: hexl-revert-buffer

From: Daiki Ueno <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 10:15:16 +0900

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> Actually, I see now that, while your patch is going in the right
> direction, the problem is deeper.  E.g. M-x find-file-literally RET
> foo.tar.gz RET does the right thing but M-x revert-buffer RET in it
> ignores the "literally" part and gives you a tar-mode view of the file.

Right, but my personal feeling is that typical users would not expect
such a "literally"-ness of revert-buffer when the file is opened with
M-x find-file-literally, unlike with M-x hexl-find-file.

With M-x find-file-literally user's intension would be to quick look at
the raw content.  In that case he might do M-x revert-buffer to "go back
to the normal view of that file" and expect auto-mode conversion.

However, with M-x hexl-find-file user's intension would be to analyze
the file format or edit the raw content.  In that case auto-mode
conversion is definitely unwanted.

Perhaps it might be better to bring this up in emacs-devel.

Regards,
-- 
Daiki Ueno