Subject: [email-masked] test failures on aarch64

From: "Jonathan Frederickson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2024 23:09:10 -0400

I'm trying to get my 'guix home' config running on my Reform, and as the substitute servers seem to be behind on aarch64 that's involved a lot of local builds. Upon attempting to build some applications with GTK dependencies, Guix wants to build (among other things) [email-masked], which is failing to build on my machine due to test failures. Interestingly enough, the exact failing test seems inconsistent; during one run, the test run terminated on test_send_shift_key:

** (gtester:165754): WARNING **: 00:58:33.478: Deprecated: Since GLib 2.62, gtester and gtester-report are deprecated. Port to TAP.
TEST: testing... (pid=165755)
  /tests/statusbar-remove-all:                                         OK
  /ui-tests/text-access:                                               OK
  /ui-tests/button-clicks:                                             iterate main loop
iterate main loop
iterate main loop
iterate main loop
iterate main loop
iterate main loop
OK
  /ui-tests/keys-events:                                               OK
  /ui-tests/send-shift-key:                                            **
ERROR:testing.c:106:test_send_shift_key: assertion failed: (gtk_widget_has_focus (button))
FAIL
GTester: last random seed: R02S6a42972d90c06f8a57f4550efd3b5f8b
Terminated

...then on another, it terminated on test_button_keys:

TEST: testing... (pid=10566)
  /tests/statusbar-remove-all:                                         OK
  /ui-tests/text-access:                                               OK
  /ui-tests/button-clicks:                                             iterate main loop
iterate main loop
iterate main loop
iterate main loop
iterate main loop
iterate main loop
OK
  /ui-tests/keys-events:                                               **
ERROR:testing.c:70:test_button_keys: assertion failed: (gtk_widget_has_focus (button))
qemu: uncaught target signal 6 (Aborted) - core dumped
FAIL
GTester: last random seed: R02S520b70035f18f331c18d9fb63b025cd8
Terminated

I've attached a complete build log from one of the failed builds. I've been struggling a little bit to figure out why this might be the case; it doesn't look like this package definition has changed recently. Recent builds for this package in CI have failed, but they've been in "Failed (Dependency)" status which makes me think they haven't run: https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/5242893/details

I've been attempting some of these builds from a local Guix checkout at commit b20956651a53a8f23828fdeb6945e1a31e6997a8.