Subject: bug#72517: 31.0.50; [PATCH] Close X connection upon deletion of last emacsclient frame

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2024 08:29:47 +0300

> From: Thomas Fitzsimmons <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2024 20:47:48 -0400
> 
> The attached patch fixes an issue reported on the mailing list [1].
> After quitting a remote "emacsclient -c" frame using C-x 5 0, the SSH
> session will hang on exit.  It is waiting for the X11 display connection
> to be closed, but Emacs never closes it.
> 
> I have been using this patch for a few months without issue, with the
> Lucid toolkit, running "emacsclient -c" over a remote X11 connection.
> 
> I just retested it on master (423c86cbde7b1ed1d42c7e21fef6e8be872857b0)
> with "./configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid" and it works for me.
> 
> I would like others who use remote X11 emacsclient to try the patch, to
> make sure it does not introduce crashes, error messages or warnings.  If
> it works for others, I can push the patch to master.

Thanks, but "ssh -X" is not the only way of starting a remote client
session, is it?  How do we know closing the X connection is TRT in all
the cases, and cannot do any harm in some use cases other than yours?

I'm also surprised that such a fundamental problem is raised only now,
when remote connections existed for decades.  Are you saying this is a
regression due to some recent change we installed?  If not, how come
this went undetected for so many years?

Po Lu, any comments or suggestions?