Subject: Re: bug#72485: Support 'visual-wrap-prefix-mode' in SHR/EWW

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2024 09:58:07 -0700

On 8/18/2024 2:20 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> It still doesn't say that shr-fill-text is non-nil by default.
> 
>> I also notice that 'shr-fill-text' is new in Emacs 30, but doesn't have
>> a NEWS entry in that release. Should I add a mention of it to the Emacs
>> 30 NEWS as well?
> 
> Yes, please do.

How about this?

---------- For Emacs 30 ----------

*** New option 'shr-fill-text'.
When non-nil (the default), SHR will insert newlines in text to wrap it.
If customized to nil, SHR will leave the text as-is; in that case, EWW
will automatically enable 'visual-line-mode' to visually wrap the text
when displaying a page.

---------- For Emacs 31 ----------

*** EWW now enables 'visual-wrap-prefix-mode' when 'shr-fill-text' is nil.
When 'shr-fill-text' is customized to nil, EWW now enables
'visual-wrap-prefix-mode' when rendering in addition to
'visual-line-mode'.  This improves the display of multiline, indented
text, such as block quotes or (un)ordered lists.