Subject: bug#72485: Support 'visual-wrap-prefix-mode' in SHR/EWW

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2024 23:13:00 -0700

On 8/17/2024 9:49 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I'm not sure many users know about shr-fill-text, including that its
> default is non-nil.  So I think this NEWS entry should say something
> about that, otherwise this text might cause incorrect user
> expectations.

How does this sound?

----------------------------------------

*** EWW now enables 'visual-wrap-prefix-mode' when 'shr-fill-text' is nil.
Previously, when 'shr-fill-text' was nil, EWW would use
'visual-line-mode' to wrap paragraphs instead of inserting newline
characters.  Now, EWW additionally enables 'visual-wrap-prefix-mode' in
this case.  This improves the display of multiline, indented text, such
as block quotes or (un)ordered lists.

----------------------------------------

I also notice that 'shr-fill-text' is new in Emacs 30, but doesn't have 
a NEWS entry in that release. Should I add a mention of it to the Emacs 
30 NEWS as well? (I don't see any harm in reiterating what 
'shr-fill-text' does in the Emacs 31 NEWS as well though.)