Subject: [bug#72457] [PATCH v5 00/15] Rewrite bootloader subsystem.

From: Marek Paśnikowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2024 09:15:14 +0200

Sergey Trofimov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Marek Paśnikowski <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Good evening.
>>
>> I am a Guix user who wants to learn patch review.  Next week I am not
>> going to have any job assignments, so this is a great opportunity to
>> install guix on my newly purchased fanless mini computer.  This means I
>> could also spend some time fearlessly checking out the new bootloader
>> implementation.
>>
>> The plan is to patch a clone of the guix repository, and issue
>> ./pre-inst-env guix system init command.  Let me know if there is
>> something wrong with this assumption.
>>
>
> That should do the job, however in my case I did `reconfigure` and not
> `init`. For patching I recommend you to use `mumi`.

Yes, yesterday I have watched jgart’s introduction to mumi and I am
halfway there with integration of mumi into my workflow.  I plan to 'init'
the system because the target is an empty device.

Thirty minutes ago I ensured that my local clone of guix is reset to
master, updated and issued the ~mumi am -- -s~ command.  It failed to
apply on the first patch to =guix/scripts/system.scm=.

I was unsure because this issue has five versions of the patches.  I
tried ~mumi am 5 -- -s~, which errored, and then ~mumi am v5 -- -s~,
which worked and proceeded to fail to apply.

I investigated a little and found that the last change to the file was
commited on June 1 2024, most likely merged with the recent core update.

I am still not 100% sure that this not a problem with my usage of mumi,
as the tool’s documentation as too poor, but seeing as it accepted the
=v5= spec argument, I feel confident enough to send this report.