Subject: Re: bug#72456: [PATCH] rcirc: Fix startup channels triggering flood protection

From: Thuna <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2024 20:23:49 +0200

>> This has a flaw, which is mentioned in the patch in a FIXME, in that if
>> the total length of the channels exceeds the maximum length of a message
>> then the message will likely split and break.  While checking for it
>> while joining the channel names is a possibility, it's probably better
>> if we split command messages more elegantly in the first place.
>
> I think we should fix that before applying the change, as I cannot
> imagine that the error message in that case will be in any way helpful.

Actually, oddly enough, no matter how long I made my JOIN message I was
able to send it and have it actually work.

I did a hundred channels on tilde.chat which all joined with:
  (cl-loop initially (insert "/join ")
           for i from 0 to 100
           do (insert "#"
                      (apply #'string
                             (mapcar (lambda (c) (+ c (- ?a ?0)))
                                     (append (format "%04d" i) nil)))
                      ",")
           finally (delete-char -1))
and I did a
  /join #aaaaaaaaaa,#aaaaaaaaaa,...
in libera.chat with the full message more than 3400 characters long.
They both seemed to work as you would hope.

It would be nice if you could verify that this is the case and
furthermore that this is the case in other servers as well.  If this is
something that can be relied on then we might not need to be concerned
with the total message length after all.