Subject: Re: bug#72450: 29.1; Tramp Failed to Parse OS Name and Version for Windows 11

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2024 12:34:31 +0200

Jim Porter <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Jim,

>> That is NOT a shame. MS Windows is a non-free operation system,
>> therefore it isn't a primary target for Emacs development.
>> And it doesn't seem to be important. I'm working for Tramp for more
>> than
>> 20 years. During this time, nobody has contributed anything for the sake
>> of MS Windows. And I don't use MS Windows myself; if possible, I fix
>> things, that's it.
>
> Well, I've tried to help make Tramp work a bit better on MS-Windows
> (my first Emacs patch was to fix Tramp hostname completion on
> MS-Windows ;)), but this bug is the one where I finally gave up:
> there's a point where trying to fix Microsoft's mistakes just becomes
> too time-consuming and bothersome, so I focused my energies elsewhere.

I really appreciate the patches you and other guys have contributed. But
my point is different: Nobody has felt responsible over the last decades
to make MS Windows a first class citizen in Tramp. Personally, I canoot
and won't, since I don't use MS Windows.

It is different for other platforms. For example, there exist two
backends in Tramp for Android (tramp-adb.el and tramp-androidsu.el),
both contributed by other people.

I don't mean to criticize this lack of support. But it is an indication,
that there's no urgent need.

Best regards, Michael.