Subject: Re: bug#72450: 29.1; Tramp Failed to Parse OS Name and Version for Windows 11

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2024 09:40:55 +0200

Duncan Greatwood <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Duncan,

> Then I used the normal tramp /ssh:... form to open LINUX-MOUNT-DIR and
> then open a file contained on the mount. I.e. With emacs running on
> macOS, this is going macOS -> (ssh) -> Linux -> (smb) -> Windows. And
> it seems to work just as you'd hope.

Good to know that you have a working solution.

>     Set tramp-verbose to 6 in a new Emacs session, prior the ssh
>     connection. When it has failed, there is a *debug tramp/ssh ...*
>     buffer; please send it as attachment.
>
> [DG] Firstly, my apologies - I can't recreate the "uname parsing
> issue" directly now. Instead, emacs will go to a time out trying to
> access the Windows machine via the ssh proxy. I don't know what's
> changed.
>
> In any case, I am enclosing the debug output file. It is 86MB, so I am
> sharing via Google Drive, hopefully that's OK.
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aH1c-58rfOmjKVBqqfJ9QpzY5m-ltmDQ/view?usp=sharing
>
> This is with the Windows machine using /usr/bin/sh as the default
> shell for ssh login. Confirmed at the client command prompt - if I do
> "ssh WINDOWS", I log in and get the "sh" prompt.

According to the debug file, Tramp is blocked now at an earlier
stage. From your proxy host, it sends

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
14:52:19.860849 tramp-send-command (6) # exec ssh -l dgrea -o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPath=tramp.%C -o ControlPersist=no -e none WIN11_1HM
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

In its working buffer, it sees then after a timeout of one minute

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
14:53:19.871637 tramp-process-actions (1) # File error: Timeout reached, see buffer ‘*tramp/ssh dgrea@WIN11_1HM*’ for details
tput: No value for $TERM and no -T specified
tput: No value for $TERM and no -T specified
[?25l[2J[m[Hsh-5.2$[1C]0;C:\Windows\system32\conhost.exe[?25h
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

The tput warnings can be ignored. But the last line is the shell prompt
offered to Tramp. It doesn't understand it.

Please read the Tramp manual, how to simplify the prompt in order to let
Tramp understand it. Escape sequences and a (Windows-syntax) path are
good to confuse Tramp.

Best regards, Michael.