Subject: [bug#72439] [PATCH] doc: Setting Up the Daemon: Add paragraphs whom this section is for.

From: Florian Pelz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2024 10:15:25 +0200

* doc/guix.texi (Setting Up the Daemon): Specify intended audience.

Change-Id: I784c5f720aa87bddb6455e42181a1e9de5d7ec9a
---
 doc/guix.texi | 16 +++++++++++++++-
 1 file changed, 15 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/doc/guix.texi b/doc/guix.texi
index 41814042f5..abd7e2f279 100644
--- a/doc/guix.texi
+++ b/doc/guix.texi
@@ -860,8 +860,22 @@ Setting Up the Daemon
 @section Setting Up the Daemon
 
 @cindex daemon
+During the installation, the @dfn{build daemon} that must be running
+to use Guix has already been set up and you can run @command{guix}
+commands in your terminal program.  For plain usage, feel free to skip
+this section.  You should continue with the following section,
+@ref{Application Setup}.
+
+However, some of us have reason to replace outdated daemon versions,
+tweak it, perform builds on other machines (@pxref{Daemon Offload
+Setup}) or start it manually in special environments like Chroots
+(@pxref{Chrooting into an existing system}) or WSL (manual start-up is
+not needed, though, for WSL images created with Guix, @pxref{System
+Images, @code{wsl2-image-type}}).  If you want to know more or
+optimize your system, this section is worth reading.
+
 Operations such as building a package or running the garbage collector
-are all performed by a specialized process, the @dfn{build daemon}, on
+are all performed by a specialized process, the build daemon, on
 behalf of clients.  Only the daemon may access the store and its
 associated database.  Thus, any operation that manipulates the store
 goes through the daemon.  For instance, command-line tools such as

base-commit: b20956651a53a8f23828fdeb6945e1a31e6997a8
-- 
2.45.2