Subject: Re: bug#72433: 29.4; Inconsistent "Loading" message suppression for batch mode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2024 09:04:55 +0300

tags 72433 notabug wontfix
thanks

> Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2024 18:05:59 -0700
> From:  Derek Upham via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> 
> The second block's test skips the body if the "noninteractive" flag is
> set.  (The "-batch" command line argument sets that flag, in "main()".)
> But the first block's test does not take "noninteractive" into account.
> That means that batch mode produces loading "half-messages".
> 
>   Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/00debian.el (source)...
>   Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50autoconf.el (source)...
>   Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50bbdb3.el (source)...

Yes, and this is done on purpose: in batch mode the second line is
redundant because all the lines remain visible on the screen, whereas
in the interactive case the user can only see the last message (in the
echo area), and thus leaving the "Loading..." message there could be
misinterpreted as if the load is still in progress.

> We probably want consistent non-display in batch mode, which we can get
> by adding a similar "!noninteractive" test to the first progress block.

No, we don't want consistency in this case, at least not this kind of
consistency.

This is not a bug.