Subject: CLISP build failure on kernel-updates / blocks linux-libre

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2024 17:43:12 -0400

While testing the recent kernel updates [0], I noticed that all builds
on the 'kernel-updates' branch fail on aarch64-linux:

https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/1528394?status=failed

As shown in the build log for linux-libre-5.4.281 [1], the tests fail:

------
finished  56 files:               5 errors out of  11,858 tests
  1                   alltest:    0 errors out of     636 tests
  2                     array:    0 errors out of     290 tests
  3                  backquot:    0 errors out of      89 tests
  4                    bin-io:    0 errors out of      15 tests
  5                characters:    0 errors out of     221 tests
  6                      clos:    0 errors out of     496 tests
  7                   defhash:    0 errors out of       6 tests
  8                  encoding:    0 errors out of      36 tests
  9                    eval20:    0 errors out of      50 tests
 10                 ext-clisp:    0 errors out of     118 tests
 11                       ffi:    0 errors out of     263 tests
 12                    floeps:    0 errors out of      20 tests
 13                    format:    0 errors out of     307 tests
 14                 genstream:    0 errors out of      14 tests
 15                      hash:    0 errors out of      48 tests
 16                  hashlong:    0 errors out of      14 tests
 17                 hashtable:    0 errors out of      10 tests
 18                    iofkts:    0 errors out of     228 tests
 19                    lambda:    0 errors out of      90 tests
 20                  lists151:    0 errors out of     201 tests
 21                  lists152:    0 errors out of     255 tests
 22                  lists153:    0 errors out of       1 test
 23                  lists154:    0 errors out of      46 tests
 24                  lists155:    0 errors out of      25 tests
 25                  lists156:    0 errors out of      20 tests
 26                  list-set:    0 errors out of      10 tests
 27                      loop:    0 errors out of     151 tests
 28                    macro8:    0 errors out of     253 tests
 29                       map:    0 errors out of      64 tests
 30                       mop:    0 errors out of     225 tests
 31                    number:    0 errors out of   3,655 tests
 32                   number2:    0 errors out of     331 tests
 33                    pack11:    0 errors out of     211 tests
 34                      path:    1 error out of      179 tests
 35                 readtable:    0 errors out of      27 tests
 36                      setf:    0 errors out of     197 tests
 37                    socket:    0 errors out of      92 tests
 38                   steele7:    0 errors out of      86 tests
 39                   streams:    3 errors out of     388 tests
 40               streamslong:    1 error out of       25 tests
 41                   strings:    0 errors out of     409 tests
 42                  symbol10:    0 errors out of     152 tests
 43                   symbols:    0 errors out of       6 tests
 44                      time:    0 errors out of      22 tests
 45                     tread:    0 errors out of     395 tests
 46                      type:    0 errors out of     289 tests
 47                unportable:    0 errors out of      31 tests
 48                      weak:    0 errors out of     120 tests
 49                  weakhash:    0 errors out of      26 tests
 50                 weakhash2:    0 errors out of      47 tests
 51                 bind-eval:    0 errors out of      72 tests
 52              bind-compile:    0 errors out of      72 tests
 53                conditions:    0 errors out of      98 tests
 54                  restarts:    0 errors out of      71 tests
 55                  excepsit:    0 errors out of     395 tests
 56                   weakptr:    0 errors out of     260 tests
Real time: 102.58734 sec.
Run time: 84.423485 sec.
Space: 1349386072 Bytes
GC: 1220, GC time: 15.946637 sec.
5
Bye.
(echo *.erg | grep '*' >/dev/null) || (echo "Test failed:" ; ls -l *erg; echo "To see which tests failed, type" ; echo "    cat "`pwd`"/*.erg" ; exit 1)
Test failed:
-rw-r--r-- 1 nixbld nixbld 188 Jul 31 00:04 path.erg
-rw-r--r-- 1 nixbld nixbld 658 Jul 31 00:04 streams.erg
-rw-r--r-- 1 nixbld nixbld 660 Jul 31 00:04 streamslong.erg
To see which tests failed, type
    cat /tmp/guix-build-clisp-2.49-92.drv-0/source/src/tests/*.erg
make[2]: *** [Makefile:34: compare] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guix-build-clisp-2.49-92.drv-0/source/src/tests'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:2216: check-tests] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/guix-build-clisp-2.49-92.drv-0/source/src'
make: *** [Makefile:28: check] Error 2

Test suite failed, dumping logs.
error: in phase 'check': uncaught exception:
%exception #<&invoke-error program: "make" arguments: ("check" "-j" "1") exit-status: 2 term-signal: #f stop-signal: #f> 
phase `check' failed after 121.5 seconds
command "make" "check" "-j" "1" failed with status 2
builder for `/gnu/store/gf5xf69vhx6rhl12fcjizwskmrfqchrp-clisp-2.49-92.drv' failed with exit code 1
------

I don't understand why CLISP needs to be rebuilt now. But it's blocking
the kernel updates now.

Any ideas?

[0]
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/72321

[1]
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/5269474/details