Subject: bug#72426: closed (Re: bug#72426: 29.2.50; comint-pager doesn't affect async-shell-command)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2024 09:27:02 +0000

Your bug report

#72426: 29.2.50; comint-pager doesn't affect async-shell-command

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
72426: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=72426
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#72426: 29.2.50; comint-pager doesn't affect async-shell-command
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2024 12:25:25 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2024 15:23:25 -0400
> 
> >> Could you just say what you'd prefer the comment to be?  I'm not sure
> >> what exactly you'd like it to explain.
> >
> > I don't have a clear enough idea; I hoped you did, since you initiated
> > this change to begin with.  I just know that the text you wrote cannot
> > be it, because it didn't explain to me anything about the reasons we
> > should be doing this.  The comment should explain why PAGER=cat is a
> > good idea to go with TERM=dumb, for example.  Maybe begin by saying
> > why Emacs needs to set the variable at all, why not leave it unset?
> 
> OK, how about this?

Thanks, installed on master, and closing the bug.

Subject: 29.2.50; comint-pager doesn't affect async-shell-command
From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2024 14:35:25 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. PAGER=less emacs -Q
2. (setq comint-pager "cat")
3. (async-shell-command "echo $PAGER")
4. Observe "less" rather than "cat".

I intended async-shell-command to also be affected when I added
comint-pager; a patch to fix this will follow.

In GNU Emacs 29.2.50 (build 9, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.15.12, Xaw scroll bars) of 2024-07-30 built on
 igm-qws-u22796a
Repository revision: cd9604db959c439c5695cf79f6533b5cbd340851
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Rocky Linux 8.10 (Green Obsidian)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-gpm --without-gconf
 --without-selinux --without-imagemagick --with-modules --with-gif=no
 --with-cairo --with-rsvg --without-compress-install
 --with-native-compilation=aot --with-tree-sitter
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/home/garnish/libtree-sitter/0.22.6-1/lib/pkgconfig/'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11
XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix