Subject: Re: bug#72426: 29.2.50; comint-pager doesn't affect async-shell-command

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2024 09:29:34 -0700

On 8/6/2024 8:46 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2024 11:33:47 -0400
>>
>> Anyway, can we just remove comint-pager for now, to avoid adding
>> something broken that has to be maintained?  I can try it again for
>> Emacs 31.
> 
> I think it's too late for that, sorry.  It is already supported in
> Eshell, and Emacs 30 is frozen for such changes anyway.

For what it's worth, from the perspective of Eshell, I see the current 
implementation as a half-measure that makes things better, but may be 
obviated by a better implementation (e.g. setting PAGER in startup.el). 
While it's disappointing to have a not-quite-right solution make it to 
30.1, I don't think that solution paints us into a corner either: it 
doesn't make it any harder for us to make the startup.el change for 31.1.

On the plus(?) side, it looks like the only place 'comint-pager' is 
mentioned is in the Eshell manual (and the docstrings, of course). So 
since we're not really "advertising" this option, and since I think it 
would still be useful even with the startup.el change, I don't think we 
have to worry too much. We can just consider the underlying issue to be 
something we'll (try to) fix in 31.