Subject: Re: [bug#72406] [PATCH emacs-team WIP v4 07/24] gnu: emacs-eweouz: Build variants.

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2024 17:47:14 +0200

Hi Liliana,

On Sun, 11 Aug 2024 at 14:58, Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> wrote:

> (emacs-minimal-eweouz, emacs-next-eweouz, emacs-pgtk-eweouz): New variables.

An open question: do we need them?  I mean since
package-with-emacs-minimal is provided, it’s easy to create such
variant.  Therefore, the question becomes: is it useful to provide
substitutes?

Building Emacs packages is most of the time quick and requires few
resources, so it’s not painful to do it locally in case an user want
such variant.

And, it avoids some combinatorial maintenance burden.  Although Emacs
compiling toolchain is stable, it can be boring to ensure all the
variants still correctly build.

Instead, we could imagine some transformation option, let say
--with-emacs-toolchain=PACKAGE=TOOLCHAIN.

WDYT?

Cheers,
simon