Subject: bug#72405: closed (Re: bug#72405: 29.4; Doc string of `org-indent-mode')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2024 07:41:02 +0000

Your bug report

#72405: 29.4; Doc string of `org-indent-mode'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
72405: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=72405
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#72405: 29.4; Doc string of `org-indent-mode'
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2024 10:39:17 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2024 13:34:18 +0530
> 
> > The reason I asked to use 'if' is that there's no reason to use 'when'
> > here, as the BODY of 'when' will only ever be a single string.
> 
> Ah, I understand now.  I find using 'if' without the else-clause
> confusing when glancing at the code so I opted to use 'when'.  Thanks
> for taking your time to explain what you meant.  Attached patch replaces
> 'when' with 'if'.

Thanks, installed on the emacs-30 branch, and closing the bug.

Subject: 29.4; Doc string of `org-indent-mode'
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2024 20:23:59 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Likely applies also to other minor-mode doc strings.

emacs -Q
C-h f org-indent-mode
____

That shows you doc that includes this, where `org-indent-mode' is a link
intended to give you information about the _variable_ of that name:

  To check whether the minor mode is enabled in the current buffer,
  evaluate 'org-indent-mode'.

Clicking that link doesn't take you to the _variable_ part of the *Help*
buffer; it just puts you back at the start of the buffer (after
redrawing it uselessly).

It should take you to the description of the variable.  And the sentence
should include the word "variable" before `org-indent-mode'; otherwise,
it makes little sense to speak of evaluating that symbol, and the text
can confuse or mislead users.

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2024-07-05 built on
 AVALON
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19045
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19045.4651)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --without-dbus --with-native-compilation=aot
 --without-compress-install --with-sqlite3 --with-tree-sitter
 CFLAGS=-O2'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

(NATIVE_COMP present but libgccjit not available)

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252