Subject: bug#7239: [PATCH] Update URL of help section on GNU website

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 11:38:15 -0600

tag 7239 + notabug
close 7239
thanks

On 10/19/2010 12:11 AM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> [ adding bug-standards and webmasters ]
>
> Hello Tobias,
>
> * Tobias Quathamer wrote on Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 05:28:36PM CEST:
>> the help section on www.gnu.org has moved. Please consider to apply the
>> attached patch which uses the current URL.
>
> The right action to take for this is to complain to the web master to
> move the page back.  The gethelp URL is documented in the Maintainer's
> Guide as well as in the GNU Coding Standards, and recommended to be
> listed in program --help output.  Updating all programs will take years,
> and doesn't sound like a smart move to me (sorry for the pun).

It looks like coreutils (and indeed, all clients of the gnulib module 
version-etc) can breathe a sigh of relief that the web redirect has been 
setup so that http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/ again works.  As such, I'm 
using this mail to close the coreutils bug report.

I find it interesting, however, that standards.texi refers to the short 
URL, while maintain.texi refers to the longer 
http://www.gnu.org/help/gethelp.html

-- 
Eric Blake   [email-masked]    +1-801-349-2682
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org