Subject: Re: bug#7236: 24.0.50; make-local-hook missing

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 21:42:07 +0000

Hi, Stefan,

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 04:14:27PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >>> Start emacs, ask for the documentation for make-local-hook. The
> >>> program signals [No Match].
> SM> It's been removed, indeed.  It was obsolete since Emacs-21.
> > How could I  replace it ?

> You don't need to: calls to make-local-hook have been unnecessary since
> Emacs-21.

Stop being so dismissive, for crying out loud!

Whilst what you've said is true, it evades the point.  That point is
that there is lots of elisp code (including standalone CC Mode) which
calls the damned function, and now that it has been removed, that code
does not compile.  This is inconvenient.

I think that m-l-h is only unnecessary when the LOCAL param is set in
some calls to `add-hook'; i.e. for each instance of m-l-h, some hacker
has carefully to work out what the implications are.

Removing `make-local-hook' is causing bother.  It's eradication may be
worth that bother.  But please accept that that bother exists.

>         Stefan

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).