Subject: bug#72345: 29.4; Emacs daemon on Windows OS

From: Constantin Kulikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2024 12:28:08 +0300

*> It works with standard read-* methods, and fail if used with for example
ivy-mode.*

This is not true either. I can switch buffer with C-x b, but can not get
help for a function with C-h f .

*> Can you try this in good old cmd*

cmd makes no difference

*> One suggestion I make to every Windows user, is to setup a
HOMEenvironment variable.*

Good suggestion. As for emacs, one can also specify --init-directory in the
command line.

I found the root of the problem. The horrors I described in starting post
happens only if you specify custom command line parameters in emacs
--daemon command, like:

```
# emacs.exe --daemon -myparam test
```

Which can be used in a config like:

```
(let ((myparamcons (member "-myparam" command-line-args)))
    (setq myparam (cadr myparamcons)))
```

If you specify such a command line argument then the server file is not
created by default and if you manually (server-start) from your config then
emacs read-* functions are trying to read input from the terminal. But
interestingly that if you press C-x C-c in emacsclient frame -- then emacs
request to save modified files are handled properly in GUI frame.

So the "solution" is not to specify any custom command line arguments.
I consider it as a bug.

On Mon, 29 Jul 2024 at 03:20, Constantin Kulikov <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> *> input from terminal is not working properly*
> Well this is not true. It works with standard read-* methods, and fail if
> used with for example ivy-mode.
>
> On Mon, 29 Jul 2024 at 01:08, Constantin Kulikov <[email-masked]>
> wrote:
>
>> (And even the input from terminal is not working properly in that case.
>> You can enter
>> string to terminal and it reacts to Enter key press, but seems like
>> input received by emacs is always nil)
>>
>