Subject: Re: bug#72344: [PATCH] Add a version of cl-once-only which handles lists of forms

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2024 09:41:58 +0800

Hello,

On Sun 04 Aug 2024 at 12:40am +02, Thuna wrote:

> I've written a draft for what it could look like.  It needs proofreading
> and editing, but it should be a fine-ish place to start from at least.
> It uses `cl-once-only*' as the name of the macro but that's just a
> placeholder for now.

Looks good.  I wonder if it might be easier to read if you could somehow
extend the example I used for cl-once-only ?

> (Do we want a NEWS entry also?)

Yes, probably appropriate.

> I've also made it so that the first argument can either be of the form
> (VARIABLE FORMS) or VARIABLE - how it worked before - which stands for
> (VARIABLE VARIABLE), so as to keep parity with `cl-once-only'.

Nice.

>> I think we should reserve the starred name for now.  As you said, your
>> macro doesn't come up often, and we might later come up with a variant
>> of cl-once-only that we want to use very often.
>
> I see that point, and it is completely fair.  I have no problem
> conceding the starred name.

Cool.

>> cl-seq-once-only ?
>
> How about `cl-once-only-multiple'?  The name should probably be of the
> form `cl-once-only<something>', rather than `cl-<something>-once-only' I
> think.

There are already several cl-multiple-... so maybe cl-once-only-mult ?
cl-once-only-multiple is fine with me, though.

-- 
Sean Whitton