Subject: Re: bug#72343: [PATCH] Fix eglot-server-programs for TeX modes

From: Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2024 18:38:23 +0200

On Tue,  6 Aug 2024 at 17:27, João Távora wrote:

> Eglot pairs language ids with modes (plural).  This is what the internal
> function eglot--lookup does.  In the same session, multiple language-id
> maybe be picked depending on the LSP document being "opened".
> So there's no "single pick" in general.

You don't need to explain that to me ;-).

> Previously, you suggested :language-id would work, but you didn't
> want to "dabble" with it.  Now you seem to be saying it can't work
> at all.

You're right.

> This may be an "XY Problem".  Can you state what exactly is the end
> result you're trying to achieve (short of "writing thesis" or "fulfill
> life goals") as someone who has never seen Eglot source code before or
> has looked at LSP event logs to check what is being sent.

I don't think there's an XY problem here, but anyway:

> Tell me which server is installed

This doesn't matter, as it's an Eglot issue.  Any TeX server will do.

> and what file(s) in which major modes you are visiting just before
> typing `M-x eglot`.

File x.tex in latex-mode and file y.tex in plain-tex-mode.

> Then tell me what happens to said server invocation (if any).

Currently, file x.tex is sent language id "tex" and file y.tex is sent
language id "tex".

> Focusing on the goal rather than the means may help me understand what
> you want to achieve.

What I want to achieve (or, if I may, what Eglot should do) in case it
wasn't clear yet, is: file x.tex is sent language id "latex" and file
y.tex is sent language id "plain-tex".