Subject: bug#72343: [PATCH] Fix eglot-server-programs for TeX modes

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2024 16:29:45 +0100

On Fri, Aug 2, 2024 at 4:13 PM Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> I think guessing "lang" from lang-mode is perfectly fine.
>

It's not.  And increasingly less so.  But you're right it should be
perfectly possible to ask a mode: "what programming language, if any, are
you for?".  But it's not.  It's a big discussion, I won't go over it.

> For the reason noted above, there is no "concise solution" to choose, all
> derived modes from tex-mode need to be mentioned explicitly in one way or
> another (either to make the guess correct, or to provide manually a
> language id).
>

The solution I gave is more concise in the number of elements of
eglot-server-programs.  And explicit in what it is doing.

> Fine, I can change the patch so that texlab will still run on modes that
> it doesn't support (plain TeX and ConTeXt, etc). Just please confirm that
> this is the behavior you prefer.
>

Yes, I prefer patches that do only their stated purpose and no other side
effects.

João