Subject: bug#72341: VC: CVS template lines not stripped when committing

From: Christoph Badura <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2025 23:47:56 +0100

On Tue, Jan 28, 2025 at 02:23:39PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> The Customize UI will be more helpful if we explicitly mention the
> recommended values together with descriptive tags.

So, I've just tested this:
  emacs -nw --eval "(customize-group 'log-edit)"

Search for "done hook".
Be sure to toggle the "More" button and than the "Show value" button on
the line for "Log Edit Done Hook".
With this patch applied there's even a "More" button at the end of the
one-line description of the log-edit-done-strip-cvs-lines option.

Do you really think that UX needs improving?

The only thing that annoys me is that when I search for "More", the point
ends up just behind the button and RET doesn't toggle it.  Whereas it does
when it is right before a button.  Fixing that would be a huge improvement
for me.  But this is a separate issue.

> But I realize that this is a separate issue, so maybe it should be the
> subject of a separate patch.  So maybe just mentioning the 3
> recommended values in the doc string will be enough for fixing this
> issue.

I've made a note in any case.

I've way overrun my "emacs hacking" time budget for this week.  I'll get
back to this bug at the end of next week after returning from travel.

--chris