Subject: bug#72341: VC: CVS template lines not stripped when committing

From: Christoph Badura <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2025 20:13:31 +0100

I'll reply to the 3 relevant mails in one message.  Is that generally
acceptable on this list?

On Mon, Jan 27, 2025 at 02:21:39PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2025 00:08:26 +0100
> > From: Christoph Badura <[email-masked]>
> > 
> > It would be nice if this would end up in emacs-30.1.
> 
> As Sean says, it's too late for that.  But we could perhaps consider
> it for backporting into Emacs 30.2, provided that it will cause no
> complaints while on master.

Sure. I'd be very happy with that too.  I'm not going to press the issue.

I was thinking it would be convenient for me to have this show up in a
release soon.  But I guess I will have to drag around my local
implementation in the init file for a couple of years until the default
emacs on the various machines will have caught up.

> > -(defcustom log-edit-done-hook nil
> > +(defcustom log-edit-done-hook '(log-edit-done-strip-cvs-lines)
> > [...]
> > +  :version "30.1"
> The :version should change to 31.1.

OK.  But now that the function isn't going to be enabled by default,
the :version doesn't need to change (or be added).

> Also, I'm not sure we can turn this on by default, as I explained in
> the previous discussions.

OK.  I do understand that you guys are not comfortable with turning this
on immediately.  That begs the question what the criteria for turning this
on by default are.  But let's discuss that separately.

> > +(defun log-edit-done-strip-cvs-lines ()
> > +  "Strip lines starting with \"CVS:\" from commit log message.
> > +When not interactively do this only when the VC backend is CVS."
> 
> Please add here a short description of the rationale for this
> functionality.  CVS being used as infrequently nowadays as it is, I'm
> fairly sure most people won't understand the purpose of this without
> some help.

How about:

  "Strip lines starting with \"CVS:\" from commit log message.
When not interactively do this only when the VC backend is CVS.
This mimicks what CVS does when invoked 'cvs commit [files...]'"

> Last, but not least: you don't seem to have a copyright assignment on
> file, without which we cannot accept a contribution of this size.

I've already started the process.  I've turned in the paperwork on Jan
6th but haven't heard back yet.