Subject: bug#72341: VC: CVS template lines not stripped when committing

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2025 14:21:39 +0200

> Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2025 00:08:26 +0100
> From: Christoph Badura <[email-masked]>
> 
> It would be nice if this would end up in emacs-30.1.

As Sean says, it's too late for that.  But we could perhaps consider
it for backporting into Emacs 30.2, provided that it will cause no
complaints while on master.

> I guess I need to add an entry to the NEWS file.

Yes, because the user option changed.

> -(defcustom log-edit-done-hook nil
> +(defcustom log-edit-done-hook '(log-edit-done-strip-cvs-lines)
>    "Hook run before doing the actual commit.
>  This hook can be used to cleanup the message, enforce various
>  conventions, or to allow recording the message in some other database,
>  such as a bug-tracking system.  The list of files about to be committed
>  can be obtained from `log-edit-files'."
> +  :version "30.1"

The :version should change to 31.1.

Also, I'm not sure we can turn this on by default, as I explained in
the previous discussions.

> +(defun log-edit-done-strip-cvs-lines ()
> +  "Strip lines starting with \"CVS:\" from commit log message.
> +When not interactively do this only when the VC backend is CVS."

Please add here a short description of the rationale for this
functionality.  CVS being used as infrequently nowadays as it is, I'm
fairly sure most people won't understand the purpose of this without
some help.

Last, but not least: you don't seem to have a copyright assignment on
file, without which we cannot accept a contribution of this size.
Would you like to start your copyright assignment paperwork at this
time?  If you agree, I will send you the form to fill with the
instructions.

Thanks for working on this.