Subject: Re: bug#72333: [PATCH] gnu: emacs-transient: Prioritise loading over built-in.

From: Tomas Volf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2024 11:26:25 +0200

On 2024-07-31 19:10:03 +0200, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:
> The other (recommended at the moment) would be to use the proper
> transformation to natively compile your emacs packages.

So just to make sure I understand correctly what is the correct work around
here.  Let us assume I install emacs and emacs-magit into my home environment.
So until now I have (leaving everything else out) this:

    (home-environment
     (packages (list emacs emacs-magit <more-here>)))

Assuming I want to follow the recommendation above, I should turn it into
something like this:

    (home-environment
     (packages (map (package-input-rewriting `((,emacs-minimal . ,emacs)))
                    (list emacs emacs-magit <more-here>))))

Did I get it right?  Are there any downsides to doing this (except compute)?

Have a nice day,
Tomas

Side note: I am surprised how long emacs-yaml takes to build on my ~5.5 GHz
build machine.  I compile whole of firefox faster.

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.