Subject: [bug#72316] [PATCH v2 1/3] Add guile-pam.

From: Felix Lechner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2025 19:50:57 -0700

Hi Maxim,

On Mon, May 12 2025, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:

> I think you meant s/GNU Guix maintainers/committers/.

Well, I meant maintainers in the common sense. [1]

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_maintainer

> it's more efficient if everybody does their part

It may be more efficient for you, but it's not more efficient for me.

As an aside, I maintained a project with many contributors (Debian's
Lintian) and didn't nitpick.  I adjusted commits to my liking, credited
authorship, and accepted contributions because they were beneficial to
my project.  That's also how I will treat you when you come to
Guile-PAM.

> By leaving things like the GNU ChangeLog for someone else to write,
> you lower the chances that the change gets merged quickly

Could I see your analysis, please?  From my experience, a proper commit
message does nothing to make acceptance in GNU Guix any faster.

> it becomes more bothersome for someone else to fill the gaps
> themselves before pushing.

Okay, so you find tasks bothersome that I think are part of a
maintainer's role.

I think it would have been more productive than this exchange if you had
simply added the missing space yourself and made other needed changes
that your trained eyes, which know Guix much better than I, saw in
seconds.  How long does it take to type a space and write a one-line
commit message you like?

Kind regards,
Felix