Subject: [bug#72316] [PATCH 3/3] Add a guile-pam-module service.

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2024 12:22:27 +0200

Hi Felix.  I don’t know linux-pam much but had been wary of its design,
but now that I started reading your guile-pam info manual, it is less of
a riddle.

By the way, guile-pam docs reference guile-wtut, which presumably
should be guile-tut without w.

About this doc/guix.texi addition, it is okay in my opinion, but it
would be better giving one or two functional examples rather than only
calling the (format) procedure.  This would showcase to the
uninitiated what PAM can do and how it looks in Guile.

> +  (foreign-library-path
> +   maybe-list-of-packages
> +   "Search path for shared objects and libraries.") )
> […]
> +                        (foreign-library-path (if (eq? %unset-value foreign-library-path)
> +                                                  '()
> +                                                  foreign-library-path)))))

It is repetitive that foreign-library-path must be set now everywhere
for non-guile pam modules.  Even though a foreign-library-path is not
always needed, would it be better to always set it as default even when
unneeded, then patch 2/3 “Switch to Guile-PAM.” could be dropped?

Disclaimer; I do not know PAM.  I may well be wrong.

Regards,
Florian