Subject: [bug#72314] [PATCH v1 1/3] website: Redesign home page.

From: Luis Felipe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2024 22:44:21 +0000

El 30/07/24 a las 18:08, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) escribió:
> A blocking issue, one of your slogans says: "Get the same environment 50
> years later".  Guix stood back from this claim so far, although it is
> the goal and there is the attempt to preserve.

Glad you caught this before publishing.

> Could you, Luis, in a new version of the patch add an asterisk that
> preserving likely will work but not always and we cannot guarantee this
> yet?  Cc to others for opinions.

Sure. I'll wait for other's opinions to see how to rewrite that part.

When I presented the proposal, Simon had suggested changing that 
particular part to "Get the same environment in the future" 
(https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-10/msg00137.html). 
Maybe that would be enough?

> To quote [1]:
>
> *The vision*  First of all, one clarification: Guix aims to support time
> travel, but we’re talking of a time scale measured in years, not in
> decades. We know all too well that this is already very ambitious—it’s
> something that probably nobody except Nix and Guix are even trying. More
> importantly, software deployment at the scale of decades calls for very
> different, more radical techniques; it’s the work of archivists.
>
> /End quote.

I thought it would possible, in theory, to travel waay back with Guix 
plus archives like Software Heritage in a very distant future... Oh well :)

> We could make the confusing claim that Guix helps you ship source code
> needed for building, which Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli kind of does for GPL
> license compliance reasons [2], but Guix provides a --sources option to
> find the sources only for packages and not system images.  Shipping
> sources is possible, but not easy and not the goal.  You have a hard
> time testing and /etc/hosts blocking network access.
>
> Cc to Simon, Timothy and Vagrant, who are involved with reproducible
> builds, and Denis who asked [2] mentioned above.

Thanks again for your help, Florian :)