Subject: bug#72313: closed (Re: bug#72313: 31.0.50; Warning about cl-member possibly being undefined when using cl-pushnew)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2024 17:46:03 +0000

Your bug report

#72313: 31.0.50; Warning about cl-member possibly being undefined when using cl-pushnew

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
72313: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=72313
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#72313: 31.0.50; Warning about cl-member possibly being undefined when using cl-pushnew
From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
To: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Stefan Monnier via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2024 19:44:26 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Arash Esbati <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Arash,

>> Let's just require cl-lib.  declare-function only silences the
>> byte-compiler and the usage of cl-member at runtime is a fact; no
>> cheating allowed.  It's also an implementation detail we should not
>> bother with.
>
> I'm not sure if this is cheating, but I'm easy, and if we want to
> require cl-lib, I'd do it in tex.el which is loaded by all
> <mode-name>.el files; so basically:

Yes, I've done something along those lines (and also required the very
small subr-x).  AUCTeX is traditionally very conservative with
dependencies but we should not limit ourselves by not using basic emacs
functions in the common libs like cl-lib, seq, or subr-x.

I'm closing this report.  Thanks for the explanations, Stefan & Eli.

Bye,
  Tassilo

Subject: 31.0.50; Warning about cl-member possibly being undefined when using cl-pushnew
From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2024 22:29:08 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The following non-sensical code is a MWE triggering the warning

  test.el: Warning: the function ‘cl-member’ might not be defined
           at runtime.

when byte-compiling it with

  emacs -Q --batch -f batch-byte-compile test.el

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
;;  -*- lexical-binding: t; -*-
(eval-when-compile
  (require 'cl-lib))

(defun foo ()
  (let ((s (list 'a 'b)))
    (cl-pushnew (list 1 2 3)
                s
                :test (lambda (_a _b) nil))))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Code with that shape of cl-pushnew usage can be found in AUCTeX's
tex-info.el where it produces the same warning which sounds very strange
given that the complete file doesn't use cl-member.

I've checked the cl-lib code and could see that cl-pushnew expands to
something with cl-adjoin which in turn has a compiler macro
cl-compiler-macro-adjoin which could expand to something with cl-member
(but doesn't in this case, I think?)...

My assumption is that (eval-when-compile (require 'cl-lib)) should be
fine when using only macros from cl-lib which in turn should expand to
cl-free code, i.e., the byte code doesn't require cl-lib at runtime.
If, however, cl-pushnew can expand to something using cl-member (a
function), that wouldn't be true.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.43, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-07-26 built on thinkpad-t440p
Repository revision: c22b4198b2e5a9d63109c5ceeb386fbb1904f5dc
Repository branch: master
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --with-tree-sitter --with-pgtk --with-modules'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: mu4e:main

Minor modes in effect:
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  breadcrumb-mode: t
  editorconfig-mode: t
  global-aggressive-indent-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  diredfl-global-mode: t
  mu4e-search-minor-mode: t
  mu4e-update-minor-mode: t
  mu4e-context-minor-mode: t
  mu4e-modeline-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  highlight-parentheses-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  corfu-popupinfo-mode: t
  corfu-history-mode: t
  global-corfu-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  switchy-window-minor-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  puni-global-mode: t
  puni-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  overwrite-mode: overwrite-mode-binary

Load-path shadows:
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-modeline hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-modeline
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-context hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-context
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-main hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-main
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-vars hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-vars
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-window hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-window
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-speedbar hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-speedbar
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-view hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-view
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-thread hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-thread
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-bookmarks hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-bookmarks
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-org hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-org
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-lists hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-lists
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-actions hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-actions
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-helpers hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-helpers
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-search hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-search
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-server hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-server
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-obsolete hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-obsolete
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-update hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-update
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-draft hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-draft
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-message hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-message
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-compose hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-compose
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-headers hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-headers
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-query-items hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-query-items
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-notification hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-notification
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-contacts hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-contacts
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-icalendar hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-icalendar
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-mark hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-mark
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-contrib hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-contrib
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-folders hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-folders
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-mime-parts hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-mime-parts
/home/horn/.emacs.d/elpa/ef-themes-1.7.0/theme-loaddefs hides /home/horn/Repos/el/emacs/lisp/theme-loaddefs
/home/horn/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20240713.2102/transient hides /home/horn/Repos/el/emacs/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow emacsbug network-stream mailalias dired-aux rdictcc vc-annotate
dabbrev cape-keyword cape expreg cap-words superword subword face-remap
sort gnus-cite mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize
uni-confusable textsec-check qp cus-start view cl-print symbol-overlay
shortdoc help-fns radix-tree misearch multi-isearch texinfo
texinfo-loaddefs tex texmathp tramp-cmds puni
display-fill-column-indicator display-line-numbers ef-frost-theme
generic yaml-mode fish-mode cargo xref cargo-process rust-utils
rust-mode-treesitter rust-ts-mode rust-mode rust-playpen rust-compile
rust-cargo rust-common rust-rustfmt web-mode disp-table auctex-autoloads
tex-site breadcrumb pulse project editorconfig editorconfig-core
editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch elfeed-show elfeed-search
vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view debbugs-browse
elfeed-csv elfeed elfeed-curl elfeed-log elfeed-db elfeed-lib avl-tree
url-queue xml-query hl-todo aggressive-indent rainbow-mode pdf-occur
tablist tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent
semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet pdf-isearch
pdf-misc pdf-tools pdf-view jka-compr pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util
pdf-macs image-mode exif vc-git vc-dir ewoc epa-file trashed diredfl
dired-x eshell esh-cmd generator esh-ext esh-proc esh-opt esh-io esh-arg
esh-module esh-module-loaddefs esh-util mu4e-icalendar gnus-icalendar
icalendar diary-lib diary-loaddefs mu4e mu4e-org mu4e-notification
notifications mu4e-main smtpmail mu4e-view mu4e-mime-parts mu4e-headers
mu4e-thread mu4e-actions org-capture org-refile org ob ob-tangle ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src sh-script smie executable
ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold
org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
org-compat org-version org-macs mu4e-compose mu4e-draft gnus-msg
mu4e-search mu4e-lists mu4e-bookmarks mu4e-mark mu4e-message flow-fill
mule-util mu4e-contacts mu4e-update mu4e-folders mu4e-context
mu4e-query-items mu4e-server mu4e-modeline mu4e-vars mu4e-helpers
mu4e-config mu4e-window magit-bookmark bookmark ido mu4e-obsolete
hippie-exp auto-dictionary flyspell ispell tramp-smb which-key
highlight-parentheses restclient forge-repos forge-tablist hl-line
forge-topics forge-commands forge-semi forge-bitbucket buck forge-gogs
gogs forge-gitea gtea forge-gitlab glab forge-github ghub-graphql treepy
gsexp ghub let-alist forge-notify forge-revnote forge-pullreq
forge-issue forge-topic yaml eieio-custom forge-post markdown-mode
noutline outline forge-repo forge forge-core forge-db closql
emacsql-sqlite-common emacsql emacsql-compiler eieio-base
magit-submodule magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect
magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit
magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge
magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit
magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff
smerge-mode diff diff-mode track-changes git-commit log-edit pcvs-util
add-log magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor comp comp-cstr comp-run
comp-common server magit-mode benchmark magit-git magit-base
magit-section cursor-sensor crm dash visual-filename-abbrev rg vc
vc-dispatcher rg-info-hack advice rg-menu transient rg-ibuffer rg-result
wgrep-rg wgrep rg-history rg-header ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs
grep compile debbugs soap-client url-http url-auth url-gw nsm warnings
rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp bug-reference thingatpt kind-icon
svg-lib color corfu-popupinfo corfu-history corfu vertico marginalia
icomplete mb-depth use-package-diminish switchy-window compat elec-pair
tramp-cache time-stamp recentf tree-widget edmacro kmacro
use-package-bind-key bind-key diminish repeat toml-ts-mode json-ts-mode
c++-ts-mode c-ts-mode java-ts-mode c-ts-common find-func treesit so-long
saveplace tramp-sh tramp rx trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-message tramp-compat xdg shell pcomplete comint ansi-osc ring
format-spec ansi-color tramp-loaddefs savehist smiley gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill
kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus
xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time iso8601
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader
gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
range ef-themes cl-extra help-mode use-package-ensure use-package-core
finder-inf cus-edit pp cus-load wid-edit aggressive-indent-autoloads
auto-dictionary-autoloads breadcrumb-autoloads cape-autoloads
cargo-autoloads clojure-mode-autoloads corfu-autoloads
csv-mode-autoloads debbugs-autoloads diminish-autoloads
diredfl-autoloads eat-autoloads ef-themes-autoloads elfeed-autoloads
ement-autoloads expreg-autoloads fish-mode-autoloads forge-autoloads
closql-autoloads emacsql-autoloads ghub-autoloads
highlight-parentheses-autoloads hl-todo-autoloads kind-icon-autoloads
magit-autoloads pcase git-commit-autoloads marginalia-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads mastodon-autoloads pdf-tools-autoloads
persist-autoloads plz-autoloads puni-autoloads easy-mmode
rainbow-mode-autoloads rcirc-color-autoloads request-autoloads
restclient-autoloads rg-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads svg-lib-autoloads
symbol-overlay-autoloads tablist-autoloads taxy-magit-section-autoloads
taxy-autoloads magit-section-autoloads dash-autoloads totp-autoloads
transient-autoloads trashed-autoloads treepy-autoloads vertico-autoloads
visual-filename-abbrev-autoloads web-mode-autoloads wgrep-autoloads info
with-editor-autoloads yaml-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win touch-screen pgtk-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk
lcms2 multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1173451 235616) (symbols 48 56499 6) (strings 32 291077 14149)
 (string-bytes 1 9219043) (vectors 16 125102) (vector-slots 8 1918753 300302)
 (floats 8 897 5338) (intervals 56 22117 7997) (buffers 992 40))