Subject: bug#72310: closed (Re: bug#72311: [PATCH] Treat period as a symbol constituent in cc-mode)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2025 00:50:03 +0000

Your bug report

#72311: [PATCH] Treat period as a symbol constituent in cc-mode

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
72311: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=72311
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#72311: [PATCH] Treat period as a symbol constituent in cc-mode
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Cc: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, Vladislav Yegorov <[email-masked]>, Jeremy Bryant <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2025 00:49:49 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 27/07/2024 14:26, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>> It would be possible to put a syntax-table text property on a '.' when
>> it is followed directly by a decimal digit, with no space between.
>> Maybe we could also check that there's a valid number character before
>> the . (space, BOL, 0-9, -, ...?), but that might be over engineering.
>
> That sounds like the better choice indeed, but given the increase in complexity
> maybe the minor improvement in behavior is not really worth the effort.

It sounds like this is not a change that we want to make, so I'm closing
this now.

Nevertheless, thanks for the patch, Vladislav.

Subject: [PATCH] Treat period as a symbol constituent in cc-mode
From: Vladislav Yegorov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2024 21:20:58 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I am not sure if this is intended behavior or not, but as it's just a
small change I am directly submitting a patch.

I would expect c-mode to treat numbers with a decimal point as one
symbol instead of two separate.  The same thing can be said about
designated initializers (i.e. {.pi = 3.14}).  I quickly checked the
behavior in emacs-lisp-mode and it works as I would expect there
(forward-symbol skips a decimal point number as a whole).