Subject: Re: bug#72273: 30.0.60; use-package installing package from both vc and archive versions

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2025 09:37:38 +0000

Sean Whitton <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Philip, could you have a look at this one, please?
>
> Thanks!

Thanks for the notification, I missed the message.

> On Mon 16 Sep 2024 at 10:03pm +02, Juan Palacios wrote:
>
>> Apologies. the code to reproduce the issue in the previous message
>> contains semicolons. Here is the corrected version:
>>
>> (require 'package)
>> (add-to-list 'package-archives '("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/"))
>> (use-package restclient
>>   :vc (:url "https://github.com/abougouffa/restclient.el" :rev :newest))
>>
>> Note that even I'm using use-package to trigger this behaviour, I
>> believe it could also be reproduced by using package-vc-* instead.

>From what I see, the issues is a combination of the fact that the
repository contains multiple packages (that depend on one another, and
package-vc always installs all dependencies) and possibly MELPAs
versioning scheme.  I'll have to look at the issue in greater detail,
but if the crucial issues is the last point, then I don't think there is
much we can do.

(Also, the behaviour seems inconsistent which might reference some other
issue or a mistake in my testing: I sometimes only get one package,
sometimes both and I even got a stack overflow once.  So it is quite
probable that something has to be fixed.)