Subject: bug#72272: [PATCH] dired-hide-details-mode hides directory's absolute path

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2024 20:27:10 +0530

[புதன் அக்டோபர் 02, 2024] Stefan Kangas wrote:

> Alvaro Ramirez <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Included a with/without sample in the NEWS for clarity.
>
> Thanks.
>
>> Any chance we can consider on by default? If folks aren't enabling
>> dired-hide-details-mode, then this feature is technically already
>> off by default. I'm thinking for those who do use
>> dired-hide-details-mode, there's possibly a likelihood they may
>> want to hide this detail also.
>
> I always use `dired-hide-details-mode', and I definitely would _not_
> want this feature on.  It doesn't help and makes Dired much less useful
> for me.  That's only one data point, of course.

If the full filename is hidden, then one cannot easily go to the parent
directory by clicking on the filename component.  This is a rather
useful feature when one is already using the mouse.

To add on to your data point, I have many similarly named directories in
different parents.  Just looking at the uniquifier inside the <> of the
buffer's name does not help since I cannot immediately recognise the
parent directory from it.

> But given that we're usually pretty conservative with changing the
> defaults, I recommend adding this as an optional feature at first.
> If it picks up in popularity, we could always reconsider later.