Subject: Re: bug#72268: 31.0.50; Color emoji rendering

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2024 08:34:22 +0300

> From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2024 22:07:15 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > That's not what PROBLEMS is for.  If a problem has a solution or a
> > workaround, we should describe them.  Maybe it's just me, but I see
> > rebuilding FreeType as a no-brainer, so if I were in your shoes, I
> > would not have hesitated to rebuild it.  I'm quite sure there are
> > others who would think the same.
> 
> Yes I understand.  I could try to rephrase a bit what's on Reddit but I
> don't think we should go into the details of how to build a library of
> Xenocara (OpenBSD Xorg modules compilation): there is the release(8)
> manpage for this.

Indeed, we don't need to describe all the details there.  We just need
to say that display of color Emoji needs the FreeType library with PNG
support, and if such a FreeType library is not available, users could
consider rebuilding it with PNG support on their system.