Subject: Re: bug#72268: 31.0.50; Color emoji rendering

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2024 16:26:38 +0200

>>>>> On Wed, 24 Jul 2024 17:15:44 +0300, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> said:

    >> From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
    >> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
    >> Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2024 15:48:39 +0200
    >> 
    >> > Please show what "C-u C-x =" says when point is on one of these Emoji.
    >> 
    >> Here is what I see:

    Eli> Thanks.  Very strange.  Can someone who uses Cairo on GNU/Linux
    Eli> reproduce this?

    Eli> Cairo 1.18.0 is a recent new major release, maybe it's a problem with
    Eli> that version?  Does anyone else use it and sees correct color Emoji
    Eli> display?

My Fedora install uses Cairo 1.18.0, and I see emoji fine in a
'--with-x-toolkit=no --with-cairo' build. Although thatʼs using
XWayland, not X11.

I can offer the following from etc/PROBLEMS:

    ** Characters are displayed as empty boxes or with wrong font under X.

    *** This may be due to your local fontconfig customization.
    Try removing or moving aside "$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/fontconfig/conf.d" and
    "$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/fontconfig/fonts.conf"
    ($XDG_CONFIG_HOME is treated as "~/.config" if not set)

Robert
--